The last hurrah.

September 4th dawned clear, bright and warm.  We knew we couldn’t ride to our destination (Edmonton Equine Veterinary Centre) without crossing a major highway, so we opted to trailer out, get across the highway and start from there.  Didn’t exactly work out that way.

All the riders made it to the staging area, but our wagon didn’t.  My cherished Ram 2500 diesel chose this day to pack it in!  We got half a mile from Fultonvale and the electrical shut down completely.  The alternator was shot.  Now what????????  *panic*

Raelene to the rescue!  Skeptical of her chances of catching him at home, Rae called her Uncle Eddie, who just happens to own a Ram 3500 diesel dually and happens to live in Sherwood Park.  (Close by Fultonvale.)  And Uncle Eddie just happened to be at home.  Better yet, Uncle Eddie wasn’t up to much and, sure, he’d be glad to come pick up our trailer and deliver it for us!  Hooray for Uncle Eddie!  On this day, our guardian angel didn’t have wings.  He had a dually!

But now we were running too late to leave with the riders, or, if we tried to do that, we’d miss both CTV and Global, so we had Uncle Eddie take the trailer (that had our wagon aboard) to Edmonton Equine Veterinary Hospital and I phoned ahead and had the Fjords delivered there too.  At EEVH we hitched the team and sent it out to meet the riders. 

Meanwhile, I went with Uncle Eddie to pick up our second trailer from Fultonvale.  Once that was delivered to EEVH, Uncle Eddie delivered me to our wagon that was a couple of miles out on the trail.  I climbed aboard the wagon with time to spare (though not a lot of it) before we were to meet the media.

So there we were, driving down a beautiful back road (paved, not gravel, not dusty).  The sun was warm on our faces.  There was not a breathe of breeze.  It was a picture perfect September day.  Rusty and I were contemplating how much Kirsten would have loved this, and he chose to allow each of us in the wagon to release pink rose petals from the bouquet of pink roses that were given to us back in Stavely, when Kirsten died.  It was a very emotional, very quiet time.

We came over the last hill, and there they were!  Both CTV and Global were out to document the end of our 325-horse-mile, 22-day event.   Our Norwegian Fjords were in the pink of condition.  Our outriders’ horses were too.  Everybody was happy to be there on our last day and pleased with the event’s outcome, but I think it was extra special for our “lifers”.    Both networks got shots of us “bringing it home”.  It was a satisfying moment.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s